King William Street, 1870
B 171 King William Street, Adelaide, west side, with North Terrace in the distance. The original ES&A bank premises and the Bank of Adelaide can be seen. The building with a verandah is the original Gresham Hotel. Horse cabs for hire line the centre of the road. Gresham place is shown. Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia
Beehive Corner, Cnr King William & Rundle Streets, 1866
B 2098 Photographer: Francis Gabriel Summary Corner of Rundle Street and King William Street, Adelaide. A three horse team and laden waggon is standing outside J.A. Holden, Saddlers. [This business is the forerunner to General Motors Holden.] In the centre of the view, a man on a scaffold is engaged in building work. On the ground floor of the Bee Hive corner is I. Simmons & Co., Clothiers. Opposite, on the right, is Waterhouse Chambers. Visit the State Library of South Australia to view…
Tram terminus, Prospect
PROSPECT: The tram terminus at Prospect, South Australia; tram no.102, travelling on route 18 is waiting for passengers before its return trip to the City of Adelaide, the horse drawn vehicles are possibly used to bring people to and from the terminus.
Subscribe to The Advertiser for exclusive stories
Subscribe to The Advertiser to get unrestricted digital access, home paper delivery, Apps for iPad and Android, member only +Rewards and much more...
Trial Run of the First Electric Tramcar in Adelaide - December 23rd, 1908
Black & white photo of the Trial Run of the First Electric Tramcar in Adelaide - An electric system of tramway traction was opened by Mrs. Price, wife of the Premier (Hon. T. Price) on December 23rd, 1908.
Tavistock Hotel, Rundle Street, 1902
B 63780 Established in 1857, the building in this photograph dates from 1884 and was designed by English & Soward and built by J. Jude. Was on the north-east corner of Rundle Street and Tavistock Street. Demolished by the Adelaide City Council in 1962 to make way for the Frome St extension. Frome Street now runs through the site. "CRAYFISH AND BEER Boots Had Them Under Coat "What have you under your coat?" asked a constable of Trevelyan Harris, as he emerged from Tavistock Hotel, Rundle…
Post Office, Rundle Street, Adelaide, 1937
B 7185 202 Rundle Street, Adelaide, 1937. The building still stands, with some modification to the street level. Photograph by Henry Krischock. Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.
A Christmas pageant in the heart of Adelaide has delighted South Australians since Saturday 18 November 1933, when Edward Hayward, chairman of the John Martin & Co. Ltd department store, blew the whistle to start the first march. Modelled on a similar event in Toronto, Canada, Hayward intend..
Bridge Over the River Torrens, Adelaide
In early 1877 a new bridge was constructed over the River Torrens replacing the existing bridge connecting North and South Adelaide. The bridge was considered to state-of-the-art for its time and the first to use corrugated iron plates in the colony.
Long-lost sights of Adelaide brought to life in revamped colour photos
Vintage photographs showing the bustle of Adelaide's Beehive Corner in 1909, the crowning of Elder Hall in 1899, and a spectacular department store fire in 1901 are transformed from black and white to colour.
Port Adelaide's policing history reveals groundbreaking past
From gruesome murders and riots to groundbreaking achievements, Port Adelaide's policing history is uncovered as part of Adelaide's About Time history festival.
Theatre Royal, Hindley Street, 1881
B 2910 Photographer: Samuel White Sweet Hindley Street, north side, showing the Theatre Royal. The billboard in front of the theatre advertises George Musgrove's production of Offenbach's 'La Fille du Tambour Major', starring Nellie Stewart. This production toured Australia in the early 1800s. On the right is the ornate lamp belonging to the White Hart Hotel opposite. The near side of Miller Anderson's (second store from the right) is 41 yards west of Gresham Street. The extreme left of the…