LOST BEAUTY. Interior of the “Old Main” Building (1874) of The Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton County, Ohio. J.W. McLaughlin, Architect. Photographer unknown. PLCH began in 1802 as a subscription library. It officially became the Cincinnati Public Library in 1853. Constructed on Vine St between 6th & 7th St in 1874, it was then considered the most magnificent public library building in the country. Site in use until 1955. per wikipedia.