The Natural State
Similar ideas popular now
The maple-leaf oak is a rare North American species in the red oak section of Quercus (known as Lobatae). Worldwide it is endemic to just four locations within the Ouachita Mountains of Arkansas. The tree sometimes reaches a height of 50 feet. The venation of the leaves shows them to be technically pinnately five-lobed but with the two middle lobes larger than the other three. At first glance it's similar to many maple leaves. ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/helicongus/9881716245)
Midwestern Regional Climate Center ~ Multiple mapping tools & climate archives on main site page : https://mrcc.purdue.edu/ In conjunction with NOAA & Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana. #meteorology
Curated by the Dept. of Agriculture Forestry Division since the 1970s, the state's largest trees are listed by species. Most are on private property, but many are in public spaces such as national forests, state parks, & wildlife management areas. Three trees are large enough to rank as overall champions for the United States (see americanforests.org). Anyone may nominate a tree they think may be the largest of its species.
Arkansas’ portion of the Ozarks includes 3 distinct divisions. The highest & most rugged is the Boston Mountain region, a relatively narrow east-west belt extending from southwestern Independence County to the Oklahoma state line, north of & roughly paralleling I-40 & US Hwy 64. The challenging landscape discouraged pioneer settlement, & even today towns are small & relatively scarce. In 1908 much of the land became the Ozark National Forest.
For Pulaski County residents only. Household Hazardous Waste: Fertilizer, herbicides, insecticides, pesticides, used antifreeze, used gasoline, used motor oil. Other Accepted Items: Plastic grocery bags, empty glass bottles & jars, empty aerosol cans, fluorescent bulbs (4 ft in length or less), compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs), household batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt; no rechargeable batteries). Prohibited Items: No ammunition or explosives, paint*, or tires. Phone number 501-340-8787.
Luna moth (Actias luna), from the Arkansas Arthropod Museum in Fayetteville, University of Arkansas. Of note, the UA Dept of Agriculture also provides a free identification service, as does each county's Cooperative Extension Service. #entomology
A perennial herbaceous climbing or trailing delicate vine growing up to 15 ft in length. The 1" greenish-yellow flowers produce purple or black berries. Wide, shallowly lobed leaves with entire margins turn an attractive yellow in fall. Good for butterfly gardens, a host plant for Gulf fritillaries, julia butterflies (Dryas julia), & zebra longwings (Heliconius charitonius). The pollen of this species is the only known larval foodstuff of the passionflower bee (Anthemurgus passiflorae).
There are 9 species of milkweed (Asclepias genus) native to Arkansas. All are host plants which are critical to the survival of the monarch butterfly. They can be planted in home gardens, with varying requirements.
These terrestrial flatworms (Bipalium kewense), native to tropical & subtropical S.E. Asia, are invasive & been reported in Arkansas for at least a decade. They have a broad, spade‐shaped head; a long flattened body typically 8" to 12" or longer; & are light-colored with 1 to 5 dark, thin dorsal stripes. **They are poisonous** -- use gloves. They can reproduce asexually by breaking off into smaller pieces, so don't chop them up : use a plastic bag with vinegar & salt, then dispose in the garbage
Rhexia mariana is known by the common names pale meadow beauty or Maryland meadowbeauty. It is native to the eastern and lower midwestern United States. A pretty wildflower seen in the summer growing on roadsides & in damp areas in Arkansas. #pink
Some basic geologic history about the Ouachitas, which 245 million years ago once reached heights of 5,000 to 10,000 feet. Erosion has now worn them to less than 3,000 feet. Those sediments filled in the shallow sea & created the flat delta region to the south & east. #geology
Average first & last freeze dates for Arkansas, based on National Weather Service data. These dates are based on climatological normals, with a temperature of 36° for FROST & 32° for a FREEZE. There is at least a 50% probability that a first (F) or last (L) Frost/Freeze will occur on these dates. Probabilities go up to 90% for a FFrost/FFreeze 2 weeks later & a LFrost/LFreeze 2 weeks prior. Probabilities go down to 10% for a FFrost/Freeze 2 weeks prior & a LFrost/LFreeze 2 weeks later. #garden